Skip to main content

Test Yourself

 


Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves.  2Corinthians 13:5


Yesterday, we decided to go to the beach.  

After parking and changing into more appropriate clothing, 

we headed across the expanse of sand and into the water prepared to enjoy the day.  

It was then that we encountered the phenomena 

familiar to everyone who chooses 

to dip into the lake, sea, or pool even on the hottest day of the summer.  

The beautiful crystal clear lake felt cold.  

Not a numbing bone-chilling cold, but cold all the same.  

We carefully waded out, letting our bodies adjust to the temperature of the water, 

laughing and teasing until we finally took the plunge and ducked under the water. 

We swam and enjoyed the lake for some time, then we decided to lay on the sand.  

Then we experienced this phenomenon in reverse.  

As we started out of the water, the air was cold.

We hurried for towels to wrap up in and get warm.  

As I was thinking about this, I thought about how often things and changes in life can feel wrong. 

They are uncomfortable until we get used to them.  

I am not sure this is good or bad. 

It is just a thing. 

It is the way this world works. 

However, I do think that as Christians, 

it means that we need to be careful about what we allow in our home,

our mind, 

or any other area of our life.  

We need to understand the boundaries that God has put in place.  

If we don't, we may find ourselves compromising in areas that God has laid down principals.  

For me, I want to keep my eyes on Jesus.  

I want to examine my actions in the light of God's word 

so that I am not tricked into calling good what God says is evil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...