Skip to main content

Ask!

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  James 1:5

 I downloaded a new app for my phone.  It was an app that lets you know how far you walk or in my case work.  I thought this would be excellent because it measures the speed and distance so it would help me in preparing for 5k’s that I run.  I hate running the same course, but I like to know that I am actually running 3.1 miles or more each time.  I opened the app went to my routes; it said I didn't have any routes bookmarked.  No kidding, I had not used it yet. I went to a different section; routes near me.  They were all in an adjacent town, three miles away.  Nope still not right, I want to walk run from here, not three miles away!  After spending nearly 20 minutes trying to make it do what I wanted, I finally broke down and did the only sensible thing to do in these circumstances.  You got it
!  I called my daughter who was already using the app.  She pointed out how to get it to track my course from where I was, and I was good to go.

As I was walking, I was thinking about how often I do the same thing with God.  I lack understanding in an area, but instead of going to the author of wisdom; the one who is the embodiment of wisdom what do I do? I try to figure it out myself rather than go straight to the source of wisdom.  In fact, I am often guilty of not asking for wisdom at all either because of pride or because of stubbornness. Imagine how much easier our life would be at times if we just asked God for understanding rather than wait until we have no other answers.  Thank you God for reminding me to ask you for the wisdom I need.  When I do, I'll be good to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You God For Turning Our Ashes into Beauty

There are tragedy and sadness in everyone's life, No one is exempt. Yet, in the midst of the hurt and pain, God is there. He takes the things that hurt us and make us sad and turns them into things are beautiful. The death of my mother  was a tragedy to my dad. However, because of that tragedy, my dad began to see his need for God. In his brokenness, he found a God that could make him whole.  God turned his ashes into beauty. My dad, in turn, taught me to love God.   I am blessed to know God as my savior because of my dad. God also blessed me with a lovely step-mom Life is harsh at times, and many things are sad,  Yet, if we let him, he will take our ashes and make them into a work of art.   He delights in making the ash heaps of our life beautiful.   When we are broken, God is near, and where there is sorrow, he will turn it into dancing.   Thank you, God, F...

Doctors and Taxes

Tonight, I’m doing something I absolutely hate.  My husband and I are working on a budget.  I imagine that most of you feel the same way. It’ kind of like taxes and doctors, we dislike them and breathe a sigh of relief when they are done. Truth be told; we really don’t enjoy working on a budget at all.  Yet it is one of the necessary components in knowing exactly how much you have and what you can spend. If indeed we are responsible to God for how we handle the resources that God has given us, then we need a clear picture. One piece of the puzzle that can bring the whole puzzle into focus is a budget.  It allows you to see and compare what you spend with what you have.  Sometimes as I’ve done a budget and looked at what I saw, I could see that the problem was little things that add up.  I realized that the problem was that I forgot the advice I had been given long ago, little things add up.  As we do a budget, we often see little things th...

Rest For Your Soul

Tonight was such a beautiful sunny night that I decided to go for a walk and enjoy the warm summer sun before another wave of rain hits.  As I cranked up my music and headed out.  I could not help but praise God for the area in which I live.   I, quite literally, live 5 minutes from a small town.   If I want to walk, I can walk down deserted country roads without driving at all.  Yes, I am incredibly blessed.  I saw baby bunnies eating grass by the edge of the road and talked with the most friendly Jersey cows.  They always walk over to the edge of the fence as I walk by nodding their heads in greeting.   There was a deer, in a hurry to catch up with his “deer” friends I suppose.  There were daisies and buttercups, apple trees by the edge of the road and a creek that floods at least once during the spring.  I also occasionally see a very friendly donkey and a few horses who always come to the edge of the fence hoping I have sugar for...