Friday, November 27, 2015

Thanksgiving; A Way To Live, Not Just a Day To Celebrate

Today is Thanksgiving.  So, happy Thanksgiving.  I know that almost everyone is sitting down to a Thanksgiving feast.  I, however, had to work.  My job is in retail.  So while everyone is working tomorrow, I will be celebrating.  I know many people who complain about places that make their employees work on Thanksgiving.  I want to take a moment to offer some perspective.  Yes, I would love to have Thanksgiving off, but at least I have a job, and it does pay the bills, most of the time.   I have decided that I am not waiting for Thanksgiving Day to be thankful.  I want to be thankful every day. I have a few friends that write down things that they are thankful for each day.  I have been thinking about how shallow I am if having to work on Thanksgiving is going to ruin my day and sour my attitude.  So, it's not and it didn't.  If anything it made me more grateful.   I meditated on the many verses in the Bible that remind us to be thankful.

 Verses like:
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.  Colossians 3:15

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.  Colossians 4:2

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe,  Hebrews 12:28

Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.  Psalms 95:2

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.  Psalm 100:4

You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.  2 Corinthians 9:11

Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.  Ephesians 5:4

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  Philippians 4:6

 and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you[f] to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. Colossians 1:12

These verses are written as commands.  That means that we CAN be thankful.  I can be thankful if my table is full, or empty.  I can be thankful if I'm sick, or healthy.  I can be thankful no matter what is going on in my life.  Being thankful is not just a day that I celebrate by gorging myself with turkey and then sleeping the rest of the day in a food coma. Being thankful is a way to live every day of our life.